Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pirates!

Sadly, not of the Johnny Depp variety.

Image credit
The other day, I discovered a website that had the full text of DEADLY CONTACT posted for all the world to read.  I was a bit stunned, a bit angry, and a whole lot frustrated.  Believe me, I understand the desire to get something for nothing, and I appreciate that readers may not want to take a chance on a debut author like me.  However (and I know I'm preaching to the choir here) may I suggest your local library?  They are a great way to try out authors, and you don't have to risk your hard earned money on a book that might turn out to be a dud.

Fortunately, my publisher told the website to avast! er, I mean cease and desist.  The website has complied, which is a good thing, as my swashbuckling skills are a little rusty. ;-)

I know piracy is nothing new--I think people have been doing this ever since people began.  It's still enough to make me a little sad...

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Lara. I'm worried about it too. It's so, so frustrating!! Almost as frustrating as 'zon leaving a known plagiarizer's account open on their site. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an unfortunate aspect of the business we all have to deal with :(

      Delete
  2. Lawsuit? Why not? teach the thieves a lesson and get tons of publicity. Jolynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if I can, since they took it down. Besides, I have neither the finances or time to really pursue further action--I'm trying to write more books! :)

      Delete
  3. AAARRGG!! How awful! I get emails all the time from my fellow authors at Black Opal Books with pirate sites having our books. Makes me hotter than hot!! So sorry to hear this, Lara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathrina. It's an unfortunate part of the business today :(

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)